The book that started it all
So here’s my first book review and recommendation, with the book FIRST recommended to me – Good To Great.
Couple years ago a pastor known for having the gift of prophecy visited our church, and I was one of few who he prophesied on. If you are wondering – his name is Tony Saxon. During that time, business was always at the back of my mind and I remember telling myself countless times I wanted to start something, but never did.
I always thought to be successful, you needed some “big” or “revolutionary” idea that would change the world. When Tony came and prophesied over me, he confirmed many things, and spoke of things that were deep in my thoughts which I’ve never told anyone, not even my direct family. That’s when I knew I needed to take action, and do something for myself. Despite being super motivated at the time, I didn’t actually do anything about it until I graduated uni and started full time work. I was also at an internship for my course then, and I thought I needed to pursue a career in the corporate world.
Anyway, that was a quick back story. But the first book he recommended to me during the prophecy was this – Good To Great by Jim Collins.
I picked the up the book mid-late last year and only recently finished it ( Read other books in between).
So what’s this book about? I’ll do a quick summary on what the book is about, and my thoughts on it.
Quick summary on the book:
- Why and how some companies succeed, and other’s don’t
- Understand and how you can apply the fundamentals of being a great leader
- Talks about various processes and concepts (Such as the hedgehog concept) and how it is applied from bringing a company from rags to riches
- How to build and grow a great company, and maintain it
- Common traits these companies have that make all the difference
- Common mistakes and misconceptions some companies think/do
- Many more.. which I recommend you to read!
All in all, this is a great book to start with. Especially if you’re someone like me who has started out in the corporate work force, or have been in the industry for years, someone looking to build your own successful business, get a promotion, or even getting into the minds of great leaders.
This book will definitely benefit you if you are serious in starting/growing your own business, as it provides you with a blue print of concepts and proven methodologies you can follow. Learn from why other companies fail, and how you can ultimately prevent the same from happening to you. This is a must read.
Hard copy version –
Find out more about the author -> https://www.jimcollins.com/about.html
- First book review, “Good To Great” by Jim Collins
- Good first book to start if you want to get into reading
- Understand why some companies make the leap, and others don’t
- Apply fundamentals and concepts of great leaders and find common traits
- Would definitely recommend it and add to your collection!
Geoff is a blogger, social media consultant, influencer and loves to motivate people. Ever since venturing on his own journey, he has acquired many skill sets in business, blogging, self-development and more. From faith, podcasts, books, mentors and personal experiences he believes in sharing the knowledge gained with the intention of helping other people.